One injured in gas leak at Littleton High School pool

Muriatic acid, chlorine mixed when material dripped from pipe

Posted

One person was injured by a chlorine gas leak at the Littleton High School swimming pool on Sept. 10, according to South Metro Fire Rescue.

Firefighters responded to a call for an “odor of chlorine” from the pool's control room area shortly before 8 p.m. on Sept. 10, said South Metro Fire spokesperson Connor Christian. A custodial crew was in the building at the time.

Responding crews found a person inside the pool area who had difficulty breathing, Christian said. They were transported to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries, though no update on their condition was immediately available.

South Metro's hazardous materials team shut down the building's HVAC system and ventilated the pool area, Christian said.

Crews later determined the gas leak was a mixture of muriatic acid and chlorine that dripped from a pipe in the control area.

Littleton Public Schools did not respond to requests for comment on Sept. 11.

Comments

Our Papers

Ad blocker detected

We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.

The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.