Arapahoe • Carter Sturgeon a 6-foot-5 senior, scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds which were all defensive in a 57-48 boys basketball victory over Lakewood on Dec. 7. The team was outscored …
This item is available in full to subscribers.
If you're a print subscriber, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one.
Click here to see your options for becoming a subscriber.
If you made a voluntary contribution of $25 or more in Nov. 2018-2019, but do not yet have an online account, click here to create one at no additional charge. VIP Digital Access Includes access to all websites
• Carter Sturgeon a 6-foot-5 senior, scored 16 points and grabbed nine rebounds which were all defensive in a 57-48 boys basketball victory over Lakewood on Dec. 7. The team was outscored 29-14 in the fourth quarter and lost 63-45 to Bear Creek on Dec. 8 as junior Bryson Stephens had 22 points in the loss.
• The girls basketball team fell behind 32-14 at halftime and dropped a 68-39 decision to Valor Christian on Dec. 8. Senior Eliana McClarie is scoring 16 points a game to lead the Warriors so far this season.
• Arapahoe’s wrestling team was fifth in the Dec. 8 Columbine Invitational. Trey Whitehead was second at 126 pounds, Jason Washington was the 285-pound runner-up and Miguel Williams earned third place at 113 pounds.
• The boys basketball team opened the season Dec. 4 with a 73-49 win over Boulder as sophomore Julian Hammond III led the way with 20 points for the Bruins which shot 52 percent from the floor. The team followed with a three-game road trip into Texas and came home with two victories. Hammond’s 12 points led the team in a 73-58 loss to Steele (Ciolo, Tx) on Dec. 6. Hammond shot 60 percent from the field and had 28 points in a 72-57 conquest of Floresville, Tx. on Dec. 7. Hammond finished the trip with 30 points on a 12-for-18 shooting performance in a 69-67 win on Dec. 8 over Central Catholic (San Antonio Tx.)
• Hunter Fleweger scored twice and had the game-winning goal as the hockey team downed Monarch 4-2 on Dec. 8.
• The Bruins were crowned the winners of the 5A poms competition on Dec. 8 at the State Sprit Championships held at the Denver Coliseum.
Lilly Johnson scored eight points and pulled down 11 rebounds in a 34-16 win over Aurora West College Prep Academy on Dec. 5. After four games the junior is averaging 10 points and 9.5 rebounds a game.
• The girls basketball team lost is first six games but downed Northfield 50-22 for its first win of the season on Dec.7 in the Jeffco Jungle Jam tournament.
• The boys basketball team got off to a 2-2 start with senior Cason Kurowski leading a balanced scoring attack with an average of 11.7 points a game while junior Cal Wing is the top rebounder with a 5.0 average.
• The hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to Ralston Valley on Dec. 8.
• The wrestling team finished second in the Columbine Invitational on Dec. 8 with 124.5 points. Sophomore Derek Mackey won the 138-pound title with a 3-2 win over Cam Hinger of Pagosa Springs. Moises Islas was third at 285, Grayson Randall fourth at 182 pounds and Mateo Reyes fourth in the 113-pound bracket.
• Junior Susie Puchino and sophomore Ashton Haddock each had 12 points in the girls basketball team’s 49-18 triumph over Summit on Dec. 7 in the Jeffco Jungle Jam tournament. In a Dec. 8 tourney game against Monarch, the Lions were outscored 18-7 in the final period and dropped a 44-33 decision. Senior J’la Ervin and junior Hannah Peterson each scored eight points in the game.
• The wrestling team was tenth in the Frank Palmeri Invite on Dec. 8. Kai Saito won the third place match at 160 pounds while Nolan Kueny was fourth at 126 and Patrick Garcia fourth at 132 pounds.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.