For the next 30 days, we’re providing free access to non-subscribers so you can see what we have to offer. And if you subscribe by May 1, you’ll get a 25% discount on your subscription!
We hope you’ll like what you see and want to support local media.
Click here to start a new subscription
The Arapahoe County sheriff has issued a ban on all open fires and open burning in unincorporated Arapahoe County, which includes Cherry Creek State Park, and in the City of Centennial. The ban is in effect until the order is formally rescinded or temporarily suspended by the sheriff.
The existing dry conditions present an extreme danger for the possibility of wildfire and large wildland fires, according to a news release from Arapahoe County Sheriff David C. Walcher.
Items prohibited include all fireworks; campfires; charcoal fueled fires; warming fires; fires in fire pits or fire grates in camp, picnic grounds and recreation sites; fires in outdoor wood burning stoves (chimney sparks or embers); and prescribed burning of fence lines, fence rows, fields, farmlands, rangelands, wildlands, trash and debris.
Violators could face fines of $500 for a first offense, $750 for a second offense and $1,000 for third and subsequent offenses.
The following are exempt from the ban:
• Fires contained in liquid fueled or gas stoves, fireplaces and wood burning stoves/fireplaces in habitable buildings.
• Propane/LP/natural gas fueled barbecue grills used for cooking or warming food, and which do not produce or emit sparks or embers when used.
• Charcoal-fueled grills and pits used for cooking or warming food, which do not produce or emit sparks or embers when used.
• Propane/LP/natural gas fueled fire pits that do not produce or emit sparks or embers when used.
• Fire set by any federal, state, or local officer, or member of a fire protection district in the performance of an official duty.
• Public fireworks displays supervised by appropriate firefighting/public safety personnel and supported by adequate equipment assigned to be on the scene of such permitted public displays.
The Arapahoe County and City of Centennial Open Burning Ban is implemented as result of discussions between Walcher, area fire chiefs, the board of county commissioners and the City of Centennial.
Other items that may interest you
We have noticed you are using an ad blocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we receive from our advertisers helps make this site possible. We request you whitelist our site.