Clerk's office makes changes for residents
By Matt Crane
While my first six months in office as the Arapahoe County clerk and recorder have gone by very quickly, I am pleased to report that we have accomplished a great deal in that short amount of time. Here is what we accomplished thus far:
• We have extended our office hours. Our offices are now open until 5 p.m., Monday through Friday. By expanding office hours, we are increasing access to our services for the citizens of Arapahoe County.
• We have created an online motor vehicle title registration quote tool, allowing you to get an idea of what it will cost to title your vehicle before coming to our office.
• We are now issuing marriage and civil union licenses at our Byers Branch Office.
• We have started cross-training employees across departments to create greater flexibility and efficiency by helping us meet statutorily required deadlines while avoiding overtime.
• We have redesigned our elections website, www.arapahoevotes.com, to make it more user-friendly. On this site, citizens can verify their voter registration, identify and find contact information for their elected officials, track their mail ballot, see the latest county voter registration numbers, and much more.
• We have increased our presence and messaging on social media, and are working to better inform our citizens of what is happening in our offices. Please follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Instagram.
• We have added additional mail ballot drop-off locations in southeast Aurora, Strasburg and Deer Trail.
Over the course of the next year, we will work to continue this mission, including:
• We will reduce wait times and lines in our motor vehicle and driver's license departments by deploying a queuing system that will allow us to guide customers to specific representatives who can meet their needs quickly and efficiency. This system also will allow us to monitor demand for our services in order to deploy additional resources when necessary. Wait times will be posted for these departments online so that our citizens can plan their visits accordingly.
• We will redesign our Byers Branch Office to make it more accessible for our citizens with disabilities.
• We will continue cross-training employees across departments for greater efficiency and flexibility.
• We will prepare for the 2014 primary and general elections under the guidelines of our 2013 legislation that will affect our mail ballot and same day voter registration processes. We will look to implement these changes as part of our mission to conduct fair, transparent, and secure elections.
As you can see, we have accomplished a great deal over the first six months, but we know we still have a ways to go. We are excited about these changes that improve our ability to provide our citizens the best service possible while protecting taxpayer dollars.
It is an honor to serve as your clerk and recorder. If you have ideas for how we can better serve you, please let us know at firstname.lastname@example.org. My staff and I look forward to seeing you in our offices soon.
Matt Crane, Arapahoe County's clerk and recorder, was appointed earlier this year, following former clerk Nancy Doty's election as an Arapahoe County commissioner.